Welcome to My Embroidery Hobby!

Hello! Welcome to my blog. This is the place where I do a little of a lot. I am not really fantastic at one thing or hobby, only okay at a bunch of little things. But that is what makes it fun! I am also a major copycat crafter. I find things I like and then make my own, I rarely come up with good ideas on my own. So Thank You to all you crafters out there who give me great ideas and projects to do!

Monday, August 6, 2012

Bookshelf Makeover: Mod podge fabric bins

This is my old bookshelf, I have painted the doors to match the off white and now it is time to fix those blasted red and blue bins. These bins are those Target $10, 13x13" fabric bins. I really like them, but I didn't want to go and spend $10 per bin, so I did some research on Pinterest. I found plenty of mod podge tutorials of decopaudging fabric to plastic bins, but no tutorials on fabric to fabric. So I went on a limb and just attempted it. Also, the fabric I am using is home decor fabric, not just a light weight cotton.

I worked about 1/2 side at a time, used plenty of mod podge then wrapped my fabric around and pressed with my hands to smooth out the fabric as I went.

I had two different ideas of how I wanted to do them and wasn't sure which one to choose so I did one method on each bin. For the red bin I folded the top edge down about 1/2" then sewed to create a finished look and also so I wouldn't have any raw edges.

As I was mod podging/wrapping the fabric around the bin, I matched up the top of the fabric to the top of the bin and then added more mod podge to seal the edge.

For the blue bin I didn't sew at all and just folded the top 1" of fabric down inside the box and mod podged. I used clothes pins to help keep the corners flat and folded.

I let them sit for about 30 minutes then went back and cut a slit in the hand holder space and glued back the edges, cutting slits on the rounded edges of the fabric to help it fold in nicely.

And the bottom I just glued down. I went over all my seams and raw edges again after another 30 minutes or so.

I liked the blue box method better. It was a little frustrating trying to get the edges to match up on the red box, even though it does have a nice finished edge.
It has been a few days now and they have held great so far! They seem to be very sturdy and the fabric appears to have glued to the fabric bins very well. So there we go! You can mod podge fabric to fabric using the regular Mod Podge Matte Finish.