Welcome to My Embroidery Hobby!

Hello! Welcome to my blog. This is the place where I do a little of a lot. I am not really fantastic at one thing or hobby, only okay at a bunch of little things. But that is what makes it fun! I am also a major copycat crafter. I find things I like and then make my own, I rarely come up with good ideas on my own. So Thank You to all you crafters out there who give me great ideas and projects to do!

Monday, March 10, 2014

I Broke a Nail!

Haha, I never thought breaking a nail would make me so sad, or so discouraged. But yesterday, it did. However, before just ripping it off (which is what I usually WOULD have done) I did some research on how to fix broken nails on YouTube and found some great methods. The most common one I saw was using a tea bag, nail glue, and a buffer, another video used the same method but instead of a tea bag she used a small piece of white cloth. 
Since we aren't tea drinkers and don't have tea bags readily accessible I opted the white cloth method. 
Yes, this is the same finger I smashed in the door a while back. It no longer hurts, but the nail is kinda squishy and looks pretty yucky with that bruise.

There are several videos on YouTube to watch so I don't want to do a tutorial but basically buff your nail where it is broken, just so the glue adheres better, place a small amount of nail glue, then place a small piece of white cloth (or small tea bag piece) that covers the area of the tear, and place another dab of glue to cover the cloth. Wait until dry then buff it down. Buff, buff, and more buff. Until the edges of the fabric are smooth with the nail. It will be slightly raised in the middle, but the edges should be seamless.
Looks weird but the edges really were seamless with my nail bed and the middle of the cloth was slightly raised. I was surprised with just how smooth you could get it. I even pointed it out to Mark and had him feel it and even he was impressed.
I also, admittedly, used too much nail glue. I kinda over compensated and just plastered it on. Live and learn. 

 I applied my polish to test it out and I have to say that I was impressed.
The only real problem I had was on the interior side of my nail, my buffer wasn't reaching that corner so well and it didn't get filed down enough. All in all, I would definitely say to use tea bags. The white cloth is just too thick, which leaves you buffing for a long long time. Also, if you don't like to wear polish or just wear clear, it would definitely be visible whereas the tea back can become virtually imperceptible if you do it accurately. I am going to go and invest in some tea bags.  Wish I didn't have to get a whole box because you really only need one bag, it will last you through several tears.