In my family the adults all draw names for each other to give gifts to. This year, I drew my sister Kati. She is an avid reader and has had a Kindle for a year or so now. For an early Christmas gift she bought the Kindle Fire (Awesome!). She still wanted to keep her Kindle because of its easy book reading style without the backlight. So I thought it would be nice to have a small cover that she could put both Kindle and Fire into and still fit them in her purse.
I found a tutorial online here. This gal made hers for an Ipad and laptop but I just adjusted the size for a Kindle/Fire (which is a good thing the Kindle and Fire happen to be just about the exact same size). Her tutorial was good, albeit a little confusing at times. But they turned out to fit just right inside the cover. I also included a little magnetic snap closure.
I made sure to sew a divider to give 2 separate slots for the devices. I also enclosed a sturdy plastic sheet inside the divider to protect the screens from unwanted scratches and sharp objects that one might find in a purse.
Ahh, nice and cozy with soft minky fabric for comfort.
And you have a completed Kindle/Fire cover with a magnetic closure, 2 slots, and a deliciously soft interior; just perfect for fitting inside a purse or bag. It didn't turn out exactly as I hoped or like the tutorial did, but if Kati likes it then I totally plan on making a better one to modify it to exactly how she wants it.
Oh, SAD news! After writing this post I just heard that Kati's 2-year-old twin boys flushed her Fire down the toilet!! Maybe this cover wasn't the best Christmas gift after all....