Welcome to My Embroidery Hobby!

Hello! Welcome to my blog. This is the place where I do a little of a lot. I am not really fantastic at one thing or hobby, only okay at a bunch of little things. But that is what makes it fun! I am also a major copycat crafter. I find things I like and then make my own, I rarely come up with good ideas on my own. So Thank You to all you crafters out there who give me great ideas and projects to do!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Tree Skirt

We were finally able to get a full-size tree this year! Woot! (Still artificial, but SO much better than the little 3 1/2 footer...) I went to Joann's looking for a tree skirt and was shocked to find that they were $30 (and that was at 50% off!!). I was not about to pay that much for a tree skirt that I only sorta liked. So, I decided to make one (thanks again Mom & Dad Curtis!).

I searched online for an easy Christmas Tree Skirt tutorial, and I found this. It was perfect and very easy to follow. I knew that I wanted to do some applique also--because I am on an applique frenzy right now. 


It wasn't until after I had cut and bought my fabric that I realized I should have gotten a smaller print for the main top piece...it is just so busy. Oh well.

These are a few of the appliques up close.



I found this way fun trim and I was so bummed when they didn't have enough of the red to sew around the perimeter, but at least they had enough white so I could use both. So every quarter section I swapped colors with red and white.

Overall, a fun, easy, and fast project (if you don't count all the applique). And with all the sales (plus coupons) going on right now I spend $15 in fabric for a top piece, bottom piece, and the applique material--half of what I would have spent to just buy one. *Dance*