Grant's 1st birthday cake. I definitely 'downgraded' on my next cakes and made them simple because of some time restraints.
Michele's 2nd birthday cake.
Grant just had his 2nd birthday this week and here is his cake:
These really are so fun to make, relatively fast and so worth it when you cut into it and see something creative!
I used this recipe and blog for batter, icing, and stacking techniques; and I got the idea from this blog.
But here is the basic jist.
I used 2 cake boxes, made one green (well, should have been green) and one blue. Then used these large cookie cutters set I found at Joann's a while back to separate the two colors and I poured them. It didn't look to great after I pulled the circle cookie cutters out out (see left side) so I was kinda worried on how it would turn out.
But we baked 'em. Michele and Grant loved smelling them when they first came out of the oven when they were nice and warm.
Then wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze. I made them a day early which makes the next part really easy because all you do is stack, apply icing, and decorate!
One at a time, I took them out of the freezer and cut off the dome shape on top using a bread knife so the tops were flat enough to be stackable. I then stacked them using this delicious cream cheese recipe between each layer and also for the green frosting, Michele was a great helper.
Used food coloring to dye the frosting green and decorated. Not any great decorating skills but it had cars on it which is what Grant loved. The 'road' is made out of Milk Duds, I am addicted to these, love them! You can't see it too well, but for the grass texture I used our cheese grater, nonconventional, but it worked!