When I was making my fabric baby rings I had to pull out my huge 13 gallon bag of batting for those little rings and when I was done with that project I decided it was high time I use that batting all up. It had only been stored in my closet for a year!
This project started from a simple jelly roll one year and 3 months ago.
Then, using this tutorial from Moda Bake Shop I sewed strip after strip together to make a full circle.
After I did the HARD part of actually sewing and cutting all these pieces together, I put this away and didn't finish it! I can't remember why. I think it had something to do with the fact that it was bigger than I thought it was going to be and didn't have room for it. Well now, just over a year later, I still DON'T have any room for it, but I am sick of storing the batting so I decided to just go ahead and finish the pillow.
So I sewed on a backing and Michele helped me to stuff it up!
BUT...that 13 gallon bag of batting wasn't enough! So I snagged the pillows that were stored under our bed from when we bought our couch. We didn't like the pillows and I thought I was going to recover them some day-Well, we bought that couch 2 years ago and those pillows never got recovered, so I opened those up and took all the batting out. STILL not enough (this is a big pillow), so I searched around and found another pillow that I have been keeping for who knows what reasons and took all the stuffing from that too.
We had it all stuffed and ready to close when Michele said, "Oh NO Mommy! Look!". Boo! There was a gaping tear where the seam had frayed.
So we pulled and pulled all the stuffing back out. Michele was super excited about it because she got to play in it.
I turned wrong side out and sewed up that hole. Then we filled it up again and found ANOTHER hole! Bah! But I was in NO mood to take all that batting out again and this hole was smaller than the first we I just got some fabric glue to patch it up.
I found a couple more small tears at the seams...I obviously didn't do such a great job at keeping my seam allowances big enough...sigh. Good thing for a needle and thread and fabric glue!
And the project I started over a year ago, is now finished. Yae!
Michele and Grant LOVE this pillow.
Complete with a fabric button to hold it all together.
I even found Michele sleeping on it one morning when I woke up.