Welcome to My Embroidery Hobby!

Hello! Welcome to my blog. This is the place where I do a little of a lot. I am not really fantastic at one thing or hobby, only okay at a bunch of little things. But that is what makes it fun! I am also a major copycat crafter. I find things I like and then make my own, I rarely come up with good ideas on my own. So Thank You to all you crafters out there who give me great ideas and projects to do!

Monday, April 29, 2013

Rainbow Rice Sensory Bin

 We don't get out of the house as much as we use to. We use to go to several Mother's Group activities throughout the week but all of the activities are in the mornings, which use to work out perfectly, but Emma (4 months old) takes her naps in the mornings now and I am a stickler for naps so we barely make it to any of the Mother's Group activities.
Great for Emma to take the naps but not so great for Michele and Grant who get a little cabin fever. So I have been doing lots of Pinteresting to find things for them to do.
We made ourselves some rainbow rice. Rice, food coloring, and a little vanilla extract. Perfect. I only had one bag of rice so we divided it in half and did red and blue colors.

Drying the rice.

I made some paper funnels and gave them a couple measuring cups and small plastic cups as well.

After we bought some more rice we made pink, purple, yellow, and green.

Now we have a fun rainbow of colors!

Yes, they make a mess EVERY TIME. But all it takes is a little sweeping and it is cleaned up. I have had them play with it outside before, but that ended up in a rice fight and they were just catapulting the rice at each other using stirring spoons. So now we just play inside where they KNOW that catapulting rice is OFF LIMITS.