Welcome to My Embroidery Hobby!

Hello! Welcome to my blog. This is the place where I do a little of a lot. I am not really fantastic at one thing or hobby, only okay at a bunch of little things. But that is what makes it fun! I am also a major copycat crafter. I find things I like and then make my own, I rarely come up with good ideas on my own. So Thank You to all you crafters out there who give me great ideas and projects to do!

Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day Notepad Gift

I found this idea a while back and have been wanting to do it! So, I decided that we would make special gifts for Grandmas for Mother's Day this year. 
My kids were finger painting one day so I was able to get their hand prints. I took a regular 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper and divided it into fourths so I could make sure their hands fit on the note pad papers and still remain the actual size. 

I scanned that paper into my computer and use Photoshop Elements to create some simple magic. Got rid of the extra paint smears, cleaned up a couple of the edges of fingers, and changed the files from jpegs to pngs. Opacified the hand prints so you can write over them. Added a little wording to the top and labeled each hand. For the fourth page I stacked the hand prints and added "World's Best Grandma Hands Down". 
Printed four to a page, then made 12 copies, and cut them out. I now have 48 4.25 x 5.5 papers. 


Ever heard of Padding Compound? Well, I hadn't util now. It is what is used on the top of notepads to glue/hold them together. I heard that paper copy stores can make notepads for you so I called around (UPS, Office Max) to see if I could bring in my own designs and they could make me a notepad. I got a lot of "what are you talking about?" Nix that idea.
But I found this recipe to make your own! What luck! and WAY simple. I had everything but the glycerin. Wow, I never knew glycerin was used in so many things. But I found it at Walmart in the first aid section for $3.99. Bam! Done deal! I now have more than a lifetime supply of padding compound.

I searched around online and found some instructions on how to apply. For mine specifically, I stacked Michele's hand, Grant's hand, Emma's hand, then the hand pile and repeated it so there will be a little variance note to note. 
Then flush edges, use chipboard for a sturdy backing--which I didn't have so I just took my box of mostly eaten Raisin Bran and cut it down to the right size. I weighed the pad down with heavy textbooks and applied 2-3 coats of padding compound about 20 minutes apart. 
LOVE THEM!



 I also happened upon these perfect magnet strips at Walmart. 0.99? YES, PLEASE! I can make like 18 of these notepads now!


They hold them up perfectly.

Can't wait to give these to Grandma's.