Welcome to My Embroidery Hobby!

Hello! Welcome to my blog. This is the place where I do a little of a lot. I am not really fantastic at one thing or hobby, only okay at a bunch of little things. But that is what makes it fun! I am also a major copycat crafter. I find things I like and then make my own, I rarely come up with good ideas on my own. So Thank You to all you crafters out there who give me great ideas and projects to do!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Pink Giraffe

This is a new friend in our household.
We just call him 'Pink Giraffe'. I didn't realize this kind of crochet has an actual name, its called Amigurumi. According to Wikipedia: Amigurumi (編みぐるみ?, lit. knitted stuffed toy) is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures. The word is derived from a combination of the Japanese words ami, meaning crocheted or knitted, and nuigurumi, meaning stuffed doll.[1] Amigurumi are typically animals, but can include artistic renderings or inanimate objects endowed with anthropomorphic features.

Pretty cool, eh?

My little girl sure likes him though. He is bigger than he seems.


OH, I guess I should explain why he is pink. I wasn't about to go and buy a skein of yellow yarn just to make this guy. So I just went through my yarn stash, I didn't have any yellow, but I seemed to have lots of pink!

I found this pattern at https://www.youcanmakethis.com/info/crochet-knitting/amigurumi-giraffe-toy-crochet.htm. It is super easy to make. The only stitch used was the single crochet, lots and lots of them! You sew the body (which will look like an alien), nose, legs, ears, stuff them all with batting and then sew the pieces together using a yarn needle, and then crochet some spots, sew them on, and done.
A little time consuming, but the end result is worth it.