Welcome to My Embroidery Hobby!

Hello! Welcome to my blog. This is the place where I do a little of a lot. I am not really fantastic at one thing or hobby, only okay at a bunch of little things. But that is what makes it fun! I am also a major copycat crafter. I find things I like and then make my own, I rarely come up with good ideas on my own. So Thank You to all you crafters out there who give me great ideas and projects to do!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Farmer and Curtis Family Quilts 2009

Way back in January 2008 I had this fun idea to make my mom and mother-in-law 'autograph quilts' for Mother's Day. Each quilt would feature the names of all the children and Grandchildren in each family. I found this block patter at quilterscache.com (so many free block designs!) and instead of having family members sign it, I just wanted to embroider their names. I also wanted to pick fabric that I thought matched each family member's personality-fabric that looks like them. Ever see that in fabric? You see fabric and think, "That looks like my mom".
Anywho, so this great idea took time, lots of time. Between finding the right fabrics-at 3 different quilt stores, cutting, piecing, embroidery, giving birth to a daughter, and getting pregnant again, it wasn't until December of 2009 that I was finally able to complete them. BUT I had only completed the tops, I hadn't backed them or anything. So, lame as it was, each of my moms got a Christmas present of a quilt top. But I wanted them to know that I had thought of them. Then my son was born in March, and they still weren't finished. At last, in May, I finished my mother-in-laws and this last week I finished my moms. It only took 3 1/2 years. But I think they were worth it. Block samples

Here is the sister quilt given to my mother-in-law.



The square designs in the upper left side of the quilts say "Dave & Pam Farmer Family 2009" and "Kevin and Laureen Curtis Family 2009"

And you may ask, what about the other grandchildren that are yet to be born? Well, I have decided to make pillows to add to the quilts. Every year I will embroider the names of the new family members onto a pillow and give that to the Grandmas. All in all, it is kinda cheesy, but it was really fun to do and cute too.